en_GB
Hold Ctrl-tasten nede. Trykk på + for å forstørre eller - for å forminske.

KJE200_1

Organic Chemistry 1

This is the study programme for 2019/2020. It is subject to change.


The student should understand how molecules are assembled from atoms, and how this assembly controls the reactivity. The student should be able to draw mechanisms for elementary reactions and apply the knowledge to predict the product of reactions and suggest short syntheses. The student should master elementary laboratory techniques and be able to perform organic reactions in laboratory scale.

Learning outcome

The student should understand how molecules are assembled from atoms, and how this assembly controls the reactivity of molecules. The student should be able to draw mechanisms of elementary reactions as polar addition, EAS, Sn1/Sn2, esterifications and acetal formation. This knowledge should be applicable for predicting the product of reactions and suggesting short syntheses of molecules. The student should be able to identify and determine the orientation of chiral centres and name molecules in accordance with the IUPAC-system. The student should master elementary laboratory techniques like extraction, distillation and recrystallisation; and be able to perform organic reactions in laboratory scale.

Contents

Following subjects are treated: Bonding properties in organic molecules, the main functional groups, the IUPAC naming system, isomers and stereoisomers, reaction mechanisms, and the relationship between structure and reactivity. The course also contains a short introduction to polymers, spectroscopic methods and NMR. The laboratory experiments gives an introduction into organic synthesis, laboratory techniques and qualitative analysis (Both by chemical and spectroscopic methods). A selection of reactions are performed and the products analysed for functional groups. The students also learn to keep a decent lab journal of their experiments.

Required prerequisite knowledge

None.

Recommended previous knowledge

KJE150 General Chemistry
Knowledge in general chemistry is expected.

Exam

Portfolio and written exam
Weight Duration Marks Aid
Written exam4 hoursA - FSimple molecular building set.
Laboratory experiments A - F
Part of the course is laboratory work for 9 weeks. All laboratory assignments should be performed, and the lab journal and all reports should be approved before the lab module is finished and recognized. Written exam counts 75%. The remaining 25% of the overall grade will then be determined by points from the lab course (20%) and exercises in OWL2 (5%). Both the lab and the theory exam have to be passed to pass the course. Labs from previous years will be recognized. The laboratory work is performed at scheduled times under surveillance for safety and need of preparation. This work is mandatory.

Course teacher(s)

Course coordinator
Kåre Bredeli Jørgensen
Tutor
Xiaoping Zhang
Coordinator laboratory exercises
Hong Lin
Course teacher
Kåre Bredeli Jørgensen
Head of Department
Gro Johnsen

Method of work

The course has a theory part and a laboratory part. The theory course has 4 hrs. of lectures every week. The laboratory course has 1 hr. lab-lecture and 5 hrs. laboratory work for 9 weeks. Mandatory weekly excercises in OWL2. All lab excercises including lab-journal and reports must be made. The mandatory work is graded from submitted lab-reports and mandatory OWL2-excercises. Language of tuition: Norwegian.

Overlapping courses

Course Reduction (SP)
Organic Chemistry 1 (BIK140_1) 10
Organic chemistry (TE0615_1) 6
Organic chemistry, lab (TE0614_1) 6
Organic chemistry, lab (TE0614_A) 6
Organic chemistry (TE0615_A) 6

Open to

Due to limitet capacity in the laboratory, the course is in principle only available for bachelor students on the "Chemistry and Environment" and "Biological Chemistry" programs, and students on the "Integrated teacher's programme". Othe students can only be accepted by individual admission by the department if there are available laboratory capacity.

Course assessment

Form and/or discussion

Literature

Course-spesific book "KJE200 Organisk kjemi" based on parts of "Organic chemistry" by J. McMurry, 9th Ed., Cengage learning, including OWL2-license for electronic exercises.
Lab-course compendium "KJE200 Organisk kjemi labkurs"(in Norwegian) printed at "Attende".
Details are given on Canvas at the beginning of the course.


This is the study programme for 2019/2020. It is subject to change.

Sist oppdatert: 13.11.2019

History